The Newbury Street Practice had its beginnings in 1847 with James Staley, listed as Surgeon, Newbury Street. The Practice then used Beckett House and then Brecon House prior to moving to the Health Centre built in 1975 and attached to the rear of Wantage Hospital. The move to Mably Way took place in June 2003, the Practice having significantly outgrown the premises in Garston Lane. In the early years most of the Doctors were men. In 1983 there were five male Doctors in the Practice and now there are two male Doctors and seven female Doctors.
The new Health Centre has eight consulting rooms, three practice nurse rooms and a minor surgery room. There are three Health Care Assistants (blood ladies) who take blood samples for tests. Attached to the Practice there are also two Health Visitors, several Community Nurses, two Midwives and 3 Counsellors. As well as the clinical staff there are a number of administrative staff.